Monday, September 28, 2009

Olive Branch

Last week, I walked through the warm summer air and into a building. Two hours later I stepped out of that building and into a crisp gust of fall. It changed. Just like that! (I wish there was an onomatopoeia for snapping your fingers.) For those of you who don't know me because you've randomly stumbled onto my blog or because you are poor stalkers,
you won't know the impact that this change had on me. So, I'll spell it out for you: I hate cold.
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.
And with that new air, that air that just has a certain heaviness to it, the air that's charged with the power to sting when it feels so inclined, with that air, I knew summer was officially gone, and it could only go down from here (both figuratively and on the thermometer). So, I did what was only natural; I went into mourning. Had I been fortunate enough to have this on hand,
I would have donned it and traipsed around wailing and weeping. Or if it hadn't been so dreadful a thought to go outside for a couple hours, I would have held a candlelight vigil.
Instead, I did the next best/productive thing and went and took an angry nap for a couple hours.(Thank you, Arrested Development.)

Then today, after spending a week alternating between angry naps, dreadful mumblings of knowing what's coming and watching the Godfather Trilogy to try and lighten my spirits,
I realized something. I realized that the cold is inevitable. I've been in a war with Cold for years now, and I'm only winning half the time. Cold's going to invade every September no matter how much I whine or complain, no matter how much I hate it. And no matter how much I fight it, it's not leaving till March. So, here it is, my new goal: to not fight the cold, to not hate it. After all, it's only business, it's nothing personal. I'm not going to say that I will for sure like the cold, that goal may be a little too lofty for me this year. But eventually, I'd like to like it. For now, I'm going to try and accept the change as it comes, and not get mad at it, but instead, welcome it when it comes knocking, and ask it to come inside and share some hot chocolate with me by the fire. Who knows, maybe Fall and her friend, Winter, will be really good at crossword puzzles, or have a love for Elvis tunes or something. We just might be able to form a friendship through all of this. Hopefully we can. But if we can't, I'll still open up my arms to it with a smile and a kiss, cause if this is war, I've got to keep my friends close, but my enemies closer...
plus, I'm a little tired of being grumpy.

No comments: