Monday, December 13, 2010

First Day of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas I'm truly grateful for:

One promised King born in a manger. The Savior of the World.  Jesus Christ.



Most people know that Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.  Because of this, I'm a pretty big stickler on not wanting anyone around me singing Christmas music until December.  I get kind of Grinchy if I hear deck the halls before we've let the turkey cool.  But this year?  For some reason this year, I've been wanting to sing Christmas music since March.  My mind has been a broken record of one simple phrase since last Christmas.  In May, in July, in September.  All year I've heard it playing over and over in my head; it's the "O Holy Night" lyric:

Fall on your knees!

Fall on your knees.  When you think about the love, the sacrifice, the willingness, the miracle that is the atonement, that is Christ's life and death, how can you not be in awe?  How poignant to imagine the meager shepherds next to the dignified kings, all of them not just kneeling but falling to their knees, overcome with the wonder and gratitude that must have struck them at the sight of the precious newborn.

How would a person, once burdened and suffocated by heartache and misery, who has felt the peace and joy of a Savior who knows and loves and lifts away sadness and dries tears, how could a person who has felt that relief and hope for his or herself, not collapse in worship and gratitude at the sight of her King and Advocate? It seems impossible to imagine being able to stop oneself.  And not only at the sight of Jesus Christ, but also at the thought of meeting the Father who allowed his Son to be bruised and beaten for the world's sake.

The thoughts are too much for me most days.  I can't really dwell too much on these ideas or I turn into a weepy mess.  But today, it's important that I share these feelings.  Because these ideas and feelings have been on my mind too heavily this year not to express them.

So, as a person who has tried to keep this blog as light and diversity-friendly as possible, I want those who read this to know how grateful I am for my Savior, Jesus Christ and the atonement that he performed in my behalf.  He has saved me in every sense of the word. And I look forward to the day when I am given the opportunity to fall on my knees in His presence and thank Him for truly everything.


O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
O'er the world a star is sweetly gleaming,
Now come the wisemen from out of the Orient land.
The King of kings lay thus lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friends.
He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
His power and glory ever more proclaim!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no greater gift a child can give her parents than expressing her love for the Saviour! Your testimony and understanding of Christ will carry you through the joys and disappointments of earth life and into the eternities. Dad